Sunday, December 21, 2008

Spoke with Boston

I spoke with McKinley Boston tonight.

He said that he was encouraged by the interviews and that he felt NMSU had a "fantastic list of candidates."

It jumps out the number of minority candidates there are. Who am I intrigued by?

I've been a big fan of DeWayne Walker throughout the process. I think, though, that he could turn down the job if it's offered. It seems like he can get a coaching job at a bunch of places and might want to remain patient. I would think that he would have to be one of the favorites.

Schultz is getting some positive feedback as well. He's coached at a great program in TCU and understands the region. It seems like he could be ready to take over a team.

One sleeper to me is Curtis Luper. Oklahoma State's offense was high octane this past year and he was an offensive assistant. Just intriguing to me.

I don't really know what to expect from any of these candidates to be perfectly honest. It seems like we're going to get a first-year head coach here and see if he can grow with the program. But I do have a feeling in my gut that the right call is going to be made. That's just a feeling.

No comments: