Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Not a surprise

The fact that Chris Pompey looks to be coming back to NMSU isn’t a surprise at all. When Herb Pope restated his commitment it was fairly obvious that Pompey, and his presence at NMSU, had a lot to do with it.

The futures of Gus Hauser and Damon Archibald should shake out fairly soon. Frankly, I have a hard time seeing Archibald back. When he didn’t get hired as coach he took it hard. And you have to figure that Menzies needs to bring in at least one assistant from the outside. Both Pompey and Archibald are two big personalities, and it could be hard for Menzies to make an imprint with both of them around. Hauser seems like a toss up but I would say that there’s a decent chance that he comes back in some capacity. We’ll see how it shakes out

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

In the story it says you're basing this on an "unidentified" source.

I'm not saying the info isn't valid, but tell me you aren't really taking calls from people who won't identify themselves and running stories based on their info, are you?

Maybe you chose a poor word here. An unnamed source is one thing as people sometimes have personal interests to protect, but an "unidentified" source is telling us you don't know who your own source is. How can the info be reliable? Disclosing a source as being unnamed based on your granting him or her anonymity is another option, but telling your readers you're using an unidentified source is an odd way to build credibility.

Do you have to get approval from your publisher to protect a sources identity like a lot of papers? And what is the LC Sun-News policy on using"unidentified" sources? I can't imagine it would be allowed, even there.

Anonymous said...

Hauser will probably come back being that he comes from Louisville as well.

Anonymous said...

Menzies is going to want Hauser back. It's not a question of Menzies wanting Hauser; it's a question of whether he will go back to Louisville as a full-time assistant (maybe even replace Menzies) or go with Theus to Sac-town to do player development. Hauser is the real deal: a genuinely good guy and great young coaching mind.
Arch is almost certain to not be coming back, unless somehow Mezies and him hit it off great, but I don't see those two personalities coming together like Arch and Theus' did ...
I can only hope Hauser is back. This guy will be a head coach one day soon ...

Teddy said...

In response to the unidentified source post.....I chose a poor word. No one is calling me, giving me info and not identifying themselves. They just don’t want to be revealed. I can assure you that the sources I use as unnamed — or unidentified in this case — are reliable. Getting them to go on record with a name behind it is difficult, especially at this point. I would never take info from a random caller, blogger or any other stranger. I go to great lengths to confirm that my info is on the money. It was a poor choice of words on my part.

Anonymous said...

can u give us the details of the NMSU & unm press conference in abq this friday? (07-13-07)